Rules and Regulations
General rules of the competition:
- Contestants: United States Virgin Islands students 14-21 years old.
- Videos: short videos related to addressing and/or ending stigma about disability (particularly in the Virgin Islands), or focusing on disability rights issues (between 30 to 60 seconds long)
- Winner: Three winners will be selected
- Awards: 1st Place $250 Gift Card, 2nd Place $100 Gift Card, 3rd Place $50 gift card, videos featured on DRCVI’s YouTube channel, Instagram, Facebook and organizational website.
- People with disabilities are the largest minority group in the U.S. and is the only group any of us can become a member of at any time.
- 1 in 4 Americans has a disability.
- Disability includes people of all ages, ethnicities, genders, races, sexual orientation and socioeconomic status.
- Disabilities come in all different packages. Some examples of disabilities include: blind or low vision, deaf or hard of hearing, autism, ADHD, dyslexia, PTSD, depression, anxiety, spina-bifida, cerebral palsy, Down’s syndrome, paralysis, traumatic brain injury, etc.
Age: United States Virgin Islands' Contestant/Student must be between 14-21 years old, enrolled in a U.S. Virgin Islands school, and/or must submit entry in partnership with a parent/guardian.
Student Status: Contestant must be enrolled as a student in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Both full and part time UVI students pursuing any course of study are eligible and high school or vocational students.
- Entries may be live action or animated.
- Submission Length: No longer than 60 seconds.
- Format: MP4
- Video File, Application and Release Form: Submit here
1st Place $250 Gift Card, 2nd Place $100 Gift Card, 3rd Place $50 gift card
All submissions must be received by May 1, 2023.
IV. Entry Form & Video Submissions
To be considered, we must receive the following by May 1, 2023:
- Application form and DRCVI appearance release form
- A copy of the video in MPEG format
- At least one (1) photo still as a JPEG of the contestant
- Submission page: https://drcvi.org/drcvi-student-video-contest-application
V. Submission Guidelines:
- Videos must adhere to the following rules, otherwise the entry will be disqualified from the competition:
- Captioning is strongly encouraged
- Use people first language (https://www.ndrn.org/resource/communicating-about-people-with-disabilities/)
- No profanity
- No depiction of drugs, guns, or violence
- No negative stereotypes referring to persons with a disability or depicting tropes of persons with a disability
VII. Selection Criteria
All entries will be reviewed and evaluated by a selection panel based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of de-stigmatizing disability and/or a disability rights message
- Accuracy of information
Selection of videos to be posted will be solely at the discretion of the selection panel. The panel also reserves the discretion to reject a submission found to be pornographic or grossly offensive.
By submitting your video, and in exchange for being considered in this competition, you grant permission to Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands to allow your work to be promoted by Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands for the competition and posted online. You affirm that you hold sufficient rights in your work to make this submission and grant this release to Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands, and you indemnify Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands should the competition be claimed liable for such permitted use of the video. You also affirm proper releases from those shown in the video. Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands is also released and will not be held liable for any mistakes that may occur in the display or reprinting of names.
Indemnity: You indemnify Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands (and their respective officers, agents, employees and representatives) against all costs of defense and liability should the competition be made a defendant in any claim arising from the submission and/or exhibition of your film. You may withdraw your submission at any time, but this indemnity shall continue to apply from the date of submission through the life of the copyright of the film.
Please direct all questions to Disability Rights Center of the Virgin Islands at 340.772.1200 or email@example.com.
Click here to download application and appearance release form. Submit materials and video here: https://drcvi.org/drcvi-student-video-contest-application.